Friday, May 1, 2015

Suzuki gs500f starter clutch fix

I got a sweet deal 2004 suzuki gs500f, but the catch was that it did not start. So I went on to find what was wrong. I tried starting the engine but could only hear the starter motor turning. I pinpointed the problem to the starter clutch bolts. I will list the process of fixing the starter clutch below.
Inspection:
Inspect the old starter clutch components. The springs,rollers, and the pins. If any of them are damaged replace them. 
Supplies:
Oil resistant locktite
10,8,17,22 sockets
7/8 thin wrench
New starter clutch bolts m8 1.25 thread
Clutch fly wheel extraction bolt 1.50 thread atleast 1.5inch in length
New stator cover gasket
Allen wrench keys
Thread cutting set
Disassemble the fairings using allen keys. Take off the shift lever (10mm) bolt. Remove all of the 8mm bolts on the chain and magneto cover. Remove both covers.
Use the 7/8 wrench on the shaft and 22mm wrench on the flywheel bolt. We shaved off the wrench ending so it would be thinner and fit. Also hear up the end of the wrench and bend it.
Remove the stator(magneto) and remove the allen bolts.
Inspect the rollers,springs, and pins. Replace if nessesary.
Drill new holes in the stator housing.
Cut new threads.
Use oil risistant locktite on the three bolts tighten to torque spec. We decided to weld the bolts aswell so they wont come loose.
Use oil risistant locktite on all main clutch bolt and tighten to torque spec(87lbs-ft). Reassemble and top off engine oil.


3 comments:

  1. I have a 2004 gs500f as well and I had a similar issue with the Bolt getting loose. I went in and cleaned it the best i could, put threadlocker on it, and the bike started up again. Now I hear the same sound a couple of months later and assume the same problem has occured so I open it back up. This time I find that the bolt isn't loose, but it doesn't turn with the flywheel like its supposed to. I hear this loud hissing noise as I rotate the bolt either direction. I'm not really an expert when it comes to this stuff so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me some videos or photos so I can have a better understanding of what is going on.

      Delete
  2. How did you remove the starter clutch ?

    ReplyDelete